Parish History (in brief!)
In 1952, the Rector of the Church of St. Jude, Brighton, the Rev R.D. Lloyd recognised the need for a place of worship in the newly developed suburb of Warradale. He arranged to rent the Warradale Institute in Murray Terrace and the first Sunday service was held on Sunday 16 March1952.
Sunday School commenced on 3rd May 1952 and by 7 July 1952 the first Committee was elected, led by Mr Geoffrey Sibley. Independence from St Jude’s was obtained on 20 December and with St Phillip’s, Somerton Park, became a separate parish with the Rev John Hopton as Priest in Charge.
In February 1955, the Committee met to consider drawings and estimates for a proposed Church building and by March 1955, the Committee had approved a plan for a Church hall to be built at Oaklands Park.
A petition to the Bishop of Adelaide, Bishop B.P. Robin, was made to style the parish of Warradale by the name of St Elizabeth.
The foundations were eventually poured, after many setbacks and disappointments and the ceremony of the laying of the foundation stone was performed by the Archdeacon of Adelaide, Archdeacon Weston on 18 December 1955. On 13 May 1956, the Church of St Elizabeth of Hungary was licensed and blessed by Bishop Robin. The first service was Morning Prayer followed by the celebration of Holy Communion.
(Acknowledging the research undertaken by Graham Truman)
TO KNOW CHRIST AND
MAKE CHRIST KNOWN
Be in a right relationship with Christ.
Be filled with the Holy Spirit.
Have fellowship with other believers.
Be a credible Believer.
Be a Praying Believer.
Be a Holy Believer.
Be a Growing Believer.